Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 1--Makin Butter

Welcome to Saturday, our first day of eating local! I woke up feeling super confident and excited about my breakfast of local raw milk, and locally made bread, toasted, with homemade butter.

That's right, I said homemade butter.

We made friends with a woman with dairy cows here in Whitley County:

(this is one of the cows, not the woman ;) )

She gave us some milk, and we siphoned off the cream and put it in the food processor:


We hit the button and watched it spin, and spin, and spin...and suddenly, it started to transform!

Pretty yellow butter:

We separated the (now) buttermilk from the butter, and set it aside for cornbread (yum!)
and now we're left with this:


And lemme tell you, it tastes good! Also, I've churned butter before...and a food processor is Godsend. :)

Lunch was beans and potatoes from the Whitley County Farmers' Market, with some ham from Faulkner Bent Farms. Oh, and a very nice man offered me a piece of fudge...but I totally passed it off to Rudi with only a twinge of sadness.

Dinner was a repeat of lunch, but add in a huge hunk of bread with aforementioned butter and honey from the Lynch Farm...I could probably last the first fifteen days on just bread, butter and honey...I love that stuff.

I then launched off to Moonbow Prom by the Corbin Main Street Program, and felt so full of honey, buttery goodness that I didn't even long for the funnel cake. Plus, we were all too busy dancing to think of food! Day 1=Success. :)

~Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment