Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Challenge

Inspired by a few recent reads, “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver and another from the magazine "Mother Earth New", I have decided to challenge myself to a local culinary adventure! Starting June 26th, I am making an effort to eat only foods grown or harvested in a 100 mile radius from my home in Williamsburg, Ky. After becoming more aware of the origins of the food I consume, I realized that the weight of my decisions of what I eat are not only important healthfully but politically, environmentally and economically as well.

Since considering this challenge, I have shared it with a few of my friends in our local foods group and several of us have made the decision to give it a try together! As I make note of how my new diet differs from my Walmart/IGA diet within factors of my pocketbook, nutrition, accessibilty, lifestyle, variety and locality.....I will invite my friends to join the blog as well documenting what differences they encounter.

Luckily, I live on enough land that I am able to raise my own beef, pork, chicken and goat and grow several varieties of vegetables. Off to do a little more research before the big day! I still have to find.....raw milk, flour and honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment