Friday, July 2, 2010

Taking stock

I’m jumping on the bandwagon a tad late, my first day in the challenge being July 1, but it went well, even if a little sandwich-heavier than I’d planned. (I intended to make a big pot of soup for Day 1’s supper, the leftovers of which would carry me through multiple days, but I got home later than expected.)

I’ve taken an inventory of what local fare I currently have within my grasp.

In terms of home-canned foods:
· 30 quarts of green beans
· 10 pints of salsa
· 4 pints of zucchini relish
· 2 quarts of tomato juice

What’s frozen:
· Zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, tomatoes, tomato juice, corn, bell peppers, banana peppers, miscellaneous greens, blueberries

What’s available in my garden now:
· Carrots
· Cabbage
· Cherry tomatoes
· Green tomatoes
· Red and white onions
· Garlic
· Bell and banana peppers
· Herbs: sage, cilantro, dill
· Blackberries

And, in the kindness-from-neighbors department:
· Some ground beef given to us by a neighbor. (Just a few months back, that steer was grazing right here on my holler.)
· Grape jam we made from a washtub full of Concords a neighbor gave us last year
· A bag of local pecans gathered by a co-worker. (These will be for mid-afternoon snacking.)
· Two nice heirloom tomatoes – a Cherokee purple and a Rutgers – that a friend handed me last night
· Mint from a co-worker that’s thriving in my garden
· An assortment of herb butters made by a local Master Gardener
· Strawberry freezer jam – no, wait…I already et that last week.

What I’ve bought so far:
· A loaf of Bluegrass Bakery sourdough
· Kenny’s Farmhouse Cheese (Asiago)
· A ziplock bag of cornmeal from the Harrogate, TN farmers’ market

Okay, soup tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment